This is a hearty stew that is easy to make in a Dutch Oven. This is a favorite of the Airborne patrol from troop 575 in Winfield Illinois.
- 2 Table Spoons oil
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 lbs beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and cut into 1/4 slices
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 cans beef stock (or 1 1/2 can Guinness Stout if making at a non-scouting event)
- 1/2 lbs carrots chopped into bite size pieces
- 1-2 parsnips chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
- Heat a Dutch Oven. Add oil and bay leaves and cook for a few moments.
- Add meat and brown all sides.
- Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add in all other ingredients and cook for 30+ minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Cooking with the Dutch oven can be accomplished on a stove, or in a fire, or covered in coals. If covering in coals attempt to have at least 10 coals on bottom and 10 on top of the dutch oven.
#adventure #Cooking #dutchoven